Thursday, October 6, 2016

Two Years Ago Today...

I remember it like it was yesterday. The phone rang, I answered, he confirmed it was me, and he said... "You have cancer." No gathering together of loved ones, no meeting at his office, no telling me I'd better sit down, he didn't even ask if I was all alone (which I was by the way); he just gave the biopsy news, as it was, no hesitation. I've spent many hours thinking on this, actually wondering if that was a poor "bedside manner" or a young doctor's inexperience. Should he have done it differently? Would an older doctor have done it differently? And yet, two years later, the news was - what it was. No amount of hand holding or sugar coating would have changed that. Still, I get misty eyed just thinking how that 30 second phone call changed my life forever. Few things in life have the power to truly change our life forever.

It's been a quick 10 months since my last entry, and so much has transpired, and yet, for the most part, life hasn't changed much. We're still here in Rainier, WA, where few venture to visit. Several teenage girls filtered through our foster home, a newborn was placed 7 months ago, and recently we accepted our most developmentally challenged placement yet - a 34 month old who is developmentally 6 months. The names of my infections have changed... but I still have them 18 months after treatment ended. I'm on a new antibiotic which as usual makes me edgy and sometimes sick to my stomach. I have Staph, pretty common, and Mucormicosis again, the really scary fungal infection. Jeff is closer to retirement and the kids are healthy and doing pretty well in their adult lives, with JoJo just starting middle school. I still love working at my church and appreciate all the concern and continued prayers. There are days when I can forget I am a cancer survivor and even overlook the ongoing symptoms of having my sinus' altered. Recently, my granddaughter visited and we really connected. Hearing her call out, "Granny..." melts my heart and makes all the concerns of the world go away, at least for a time. Then there are the MRI days and the ongoing cancer doctor appointments that reel reality back in to view. I still get nervous. I am human afterall. My last MRI in September was clear and i thank God for every good report.

Yes, I have HAD cancer, but my faith puts fears to rest.

Be strong and courageous. do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. 
Joshua 1:9 and: 

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 
2 Timothy 1:7

Thank you for listening,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment