Monday, April 13, 2015

Silent Stress and Moving On

It's been 5 weeks since my last update and there isn't much change in my health to report. Some days are harder than others and I fight to find the joy and blessings in each day. I always had a high tolerance for pain, but this long term discomfort and lack of sleep is taking it's toll. It is encouraging that I'm still healing a little more every day and I can literally feel the cells regenerating in my cheek, jaw, nose, and mouth area. Sometimes it feels like my cheeks are on fire! Sometimes it feels like pins and needles are being poked at my face. Sleeping through the night is my biggest challenge and lack of sleep leaves me a bit foggy on a daily basis. Ambien helps me fall asleep but doesn't last more than a few hours. Praying this won't take too much longer because my energy and mood are suffering. In a few days, my daughter and granddaughter will be here from Turkey. Just having them here should increase my energy, but will probably wear me out too, so I may sleep much better next week! Although my scalp is still tender, tomorrow I'm having my hair done for the first time since my diagnosis in October. This is a big step for me and I  hope it goes well. I want to look as good as possible for my niece's wedding and family vacation beginning at the end of May. Quite honestly, I'm looking a bit shaggy.  
My husband's reflux from stress, as reported last month, seemed to subside; however, a couple weeks ago he was diagnosed with Bells Palsy. He noticed a few symptoms during the week but didn't say anything. By Saturday, it was undeniable that half his face was paralyzed. Concerned it could also be signs a stroke, we went to the ER, and were quite relieved with the diagnosis. Now, with the help of steroids and many projects he's got going to help reduce his stress level, he is recovering nicely. Cancer causes silent stress to those you love whether they realize it or not. Whatever you can do to decrease your own stress and whatever they can do, is definitely recommended. Stress can cause worse symptoms for both the patient and the loved ones.
I'm grateful for my friends and family that keep me walking for exercise, shopping and movie going for distraction, cheered up and encouraged with cards and care packages, and for everyone who continues to pray for my full recovery, for my husband, and my family too. 
On another family note, our matriarch, my great aunt Florence, passed away a few days ago. She was 98 and lived a full life surrounded by a loving extended family. She loved the Lord and we rejoice in her life well lived. It was cancer that took her life, but it came on suddenly and ran it's course fast, so she didn't suffer long. For that, we are grateful. My mom is now our family's matriarch. Time marches on and we must love like there is no tomorrow, forgive and ask to be forgiven, and enjoy life! 
It's raining a lot now here in Washington, and that can add to my depression; but I know brighter days are just around the corner! God is good! All the time. All the time, God is good!
More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment