Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Cancer creates unlikely bonds and emotions run deep.

Yesterday, in the hallway of our lodging facility, I met a young soldier who works with my husband. He introduced himself as Nathan and said he had something for me. It seemed awkward to me that he was anxious to unlock his door and retrieve something for me since we had just met. I looked up at Jeff to see if he had a clue... and he nodded. It was then that the teary eyed soldier returned with a small quilt in his arms. I knew immediately that it was known as a Chemo blanket that I'd heard about. I'm told that cancer patients get cold during treatment. He began to share why this little quilt was special to him and why he wanted me to have it. As he shared his cancer story with me I learned he is a three year survivor of testicular cancer. Five years is supposed to be the "safe" time frame, but no guarantee. Then as he handed it to me he added that it came with lots of prayers already and he would continue to pray for me as well. There are no words to adequately describe how grateful I am that he chose to pass this quilt, all the love sewn into it, and all the prayers prayed over it, on to me. God knew this trip wasn't about forgetting  I have cancer, but about embracing it. Yes, embracing it, for all the good it can spread. For the encouragement, compassion, and testimonials of strength and healing it can spread around when even strangers meet. God bless the Nathan's of this world.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, what a wonderful story. I have read about the quilt in my research and was hoping to send you a quilt. I am so happy you met Nathan, because I wasn't able to send you one. I read that some people have had their chemo and radiation support family, doctors and anyone else who have come into their "cancer family" sign it as a big support to them. Nathan is another very special person in this chapter of your life. (((hugs))). ♥xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful love bond and encouragement of how God places "post cards" reminding us of His love when and where least expected at times. Be encouraged, my sister.

    ReplyDelete